Journal of Dr. Henry W. Candsell

May 31: Camp duties as usual. Made out discharges for two of our boys. Weakly and sick. Fixing up plunder from Rebels at Corinth. Mailed letter to my wife in afternoon. Our batteries returned to camp. Our troops following rebels still. Have taken many prisoners, I hear.

June 1: Sunday, but no difference in camp—all days alike. Sick call, writing to Ellen, with parcel, to send when I get a chance.

June 2: Hospital duties as usual. Heard that "Hoag" died in general hospital today.

June 3: General Pope moving south after the Rebels. Our battery returned to camp duties as usual. 7 to hospital.

June 4: My birthday—55. Fresh meat today first time. Not well, could not eat much. Bad headache. Arranging to discharge two of the boys.

June 5: Quite sick all day. Sent hospital steward with parcel to go by express from Pittsburgh landing, but they would not take parcels. He brought it back. Sorry.

June 6: Our battery gone to the front beyond Corinth in pursuit of Rebels. Writing to Ellen by mail. Hospital duties as usual. Boys all going on but ours. Edgarton doubtful. Better myself, but not well. Expected a letter, but got none.

June 7: Writing furloughs for two boys. Getting ready to go with them tomorrow. Camp all quiet, mostly gone forward. Expect to go ourselves soon.

June 8: At 7 went to Pittsburgh landing and Homburg with Sawyer and Bacon. 23 miles, bad roads and very hot. Not well. Succeeded in getting them on boat at Pittsburgh. Sawyer took the parcel for Ellen to send by express. Wine from Medical purveyor at landing. Home on foot. Camp at 7. Very much used up, half dead.

June 9: After sick call, rode on horseback with Lieut. Livingstone to Corinth and around. Home noon. Mail in from Wisconsin. Nothing for me—too bad!

June 10: Received orders to send sick to the general hospital. Did so. Fear Edgarton will hardly recovered from moving in his low state. Packed up everything and at noon started by ambulance for our battery about twenty miles off. Rode about twelve miles. Very hot and dusty. Camped at 7.

June 11: At 4 A. M. cold water and ginger bread for breakfast and all started on. Rienze at 10. Pretty village. New 2 years. Jacinto at three. Another pretty new village. Left on the Memphis and Charlston R. R. at 9 P. M. overland. Battery in camp.

June 12: All up at 3 A. M. Breakfast, coffee and crackers— Bread all gone—and dried beef. At 4 started with division, following with train of ambulances in rear of batteries and infantry. Oh, what dust and heat! Eight hours going ten miles to Iuka, Miss. Quite a village, but nothing there as to stores. Only private houses occupied. Hot and dusty. Camp ground no shade, no tents, steward taken off to ride in the battery. Slept in the ambulance last night and tonight. Made tea, had crackers and sausages. Hard fare.

June 13: Iuka, Miss, all day. Walked around village. Bought some corn bread. Poor Beverages.

June 14: Iuka. All up at 2 A. M. Men paid off at three. Breakfast 33^ and at 4 all started on for Florence, on Tennessee River, Ala. About thirty miles. Went about fourteen miles by seven P. M. Bad roads, heat and dust. Had all to wait for infantry, to rest and water every mile or two. Terrible!!!!!! Almost dead. Had wash in creek and made a little tea. Starved, and no food for horses. Bed in ambulance as usual. "Badger Bulletin" printed in a South office.

June 15: Sunday. All up at 3. Breakfast, coffee and crackers. At four all started as usual. Same slow travelling. One mile an hour is the average. Dust and heat beyond endurance. No dinner. Only water, when we could get it. Almost used up. Reached camp ground about four P. M. Washed in river. Had to fetch water in tin cup for tea, % mue to ^ttle mud spring. Exchanged sausages with quartermaster for a piece of ham. Ate some for tea. So hungry. Tired.

June 16: At 2 breakfast, and at 3 all started. Some terrible dust and heat. No food for horses. Tuscumbia and fair grounds. Pretty old. Fine spring of water and creek. All stopped, watered horses, and filled canteens. Country better cultivated here in Alabama. Good farms, but Poor sandy land. Nothing but little corn being raised. Plenty of Peaches, not ripe. 1 P. M. reached camp ground near Florence, Ala., one mile from Tennessee river. Crittenden's division all camped around here, and we are attached to that now. Washed, had tea, and put up tent.

June 17: Florence, Ala. in Camp. Had a good sleep on cot last night. Breakfast, fruit, ham, corn bread like sand. Unpacking stores, fixing up a little, but very dusty and hot here. No shade, no feed yet for horses. Mail from Wis. No letter for me.

June 18: Went on to see medical director about sending sick men to hospital, and transferring stores. Took two down to general hospital, Tuscumbia. Bought some gingersnaps, cheese, etc., and two corn dodgers, and some onions. Had some fresh meat this morning, and made some soup for dinner—good. Unpacking supplies in afternoon, and attending sick.

June 19: Sick call. Repacking, fixing up. To leave supplies here, not being able to transport them on the long march to Virginia. 300 miles. Oh dear! Can never stand it. Soup again with dried vegetables, good, for dinner. Corn dodgers bad. Peaches in can, for tea. No butter for two weeks, or milk for six weeks.

June 20: Sick call as usual. Repacking supplies all day. Soup again for dinner. Hot days, but very cold nights. Almost froze in bed with two blankets and quilts on.

June 21: Up at 5. Made fire and cooked ham as usual. Breakfast 6. Walked to medical director's shack, then rode to Tuscumbia Hospital on horse. Saw port surgeon Seymore, an Englishman, and agreed to turn over to him my medical stores, tents, cots, etc. Returned to camp. Bought two apple turnovers for 25 cents. Had one for dinner. Loaded wagon in afternoon and took down supplies to Hospital, keeping only enough to use on march. Home 7. Tea, maple sugar and crackers, hard. Cannot eat them. Veiy cold night again.

June 22: Sick call, and eight of Capt. Miller's battery also. Fixing up ready for marching all day. Very hot and dusty. Turnover for dinner. Ham for breakfast at 6 A. M. Stewed some dried apples for tea. Wrote long letter home, to send as soon as possible.

June 23: Capt. Drury came early to say he did not think he could carry my boxes or myself any farther, as he wanted all the room for forage, and that I had better remain over at Tuscumbia. I objected to so doing, having turned out nearly everything already, and had only two boxes left of hospital stores and my own altogether. He then said I might cross the river if I chose, but probably no farther. At 10 A. M. started on march and crossed the river Tennessee, near Florence, in afternoon, in Lady Jackson ferryboat. Capt. and all officers except Livingston drank very hard, and most of them got tight, and could not sit straight. Camped a mile on the other side. Saw Col. Barnett and Capt. Mullen. They said Capt. Drury could not leave me or my things, and Capt. Mullen said he would see he should not, particularly as I was acting as brigade surgeon to his as well as other batteries. A little shower in afternoon.

June 24: Florence, Ala. After breakfast, Capt D. said he did not see that he could take anything any farther for me, but I insisted that I ought to and should go on, and have my effects taken too, and when he found that one box contained, among other supplies, some old Bourbon, and the other some fine brandy, he thought it was a pity to leave either and thought he could make out to take them along. Soon after, Capt. and Lieut. Hubbard went back again to steamer on ferry and got tight again, and that was the last seen of him till night, we having left about 3 P. M. under command of Lieut. Livingston and LeBrum. In evening, Hubbard overtook us, but could not ride on horse any farther, and got into ambulance very sick (drunk), and was obliged to ride in ambulance for several days in consequence. Camped about 7 miles from Florence. Found the mules, being half starved had dragged my bundle of bedding out of the wagon and tore out and ate up most of my fur robe. Sorry.

June 25: Marching as usual at 4 A. M. Lieutenant Hubbard in ambulance. Very warm, and terribly dusty again. Only made about nine miles. Camped about 2 P. M. Tired, hungry and sick. Slept in ambulance as usual.

June 26: Bugle call at 1. March at 3 A. M. Same hot, dusty and tiresome day. Marched about 10 miles to some creek. Made camp about 1 P. M. Stewed some apples, made punch for officers and brandy for Capt. in evening. No mail lately. Slept in ambulance as usual.

June 27: Reveille at 1 A. M. Gave Capt. a drink of brandy and had cup of coffee from his cook. Marched at 3 A. M. Almost used up for want of sleep and food. Camp at 1 1 A. M. Boiled ham and crackers for dinner. Crackers and apple sauce for tea.

June 28: Call at 1. Marched at 3. Gave Capt. a bottle of fine brandy to keep him comfortable. Camp four miles west of Athens at noon. In evening took sick boys to hospital and mailed letter for home.

June 29: Called at 2. Marched at 4. Took some of Capt. Muelle's sick to hospital at Athens in ambulance, and joined division there at 6 A. M. Very pretty little town, but nothing doing as usual. Still very hot and dusty. Choked to death almost. Camp about 4 miles from Athens at 9 A. M. Slept in ambulance as usual, if you call 2 or 3 hours lying down is such a thing as sleep.

June 30: Reveille at 1. Marched at 3. Little shower laid the dust a little for a few hours. Camp at 2 P. M. No mail or news. What a nuisance! Lieut. Hubbard went to Huntsville by rail to Corinth to recuit. Camp duties as usual. Turned in at 9.

July 1: Called at 1. March at 25^. To camp 27 miles from Huntsville. Camp at noon. More troops there. Dusty hole. Up the woods in afternoon picking blackberries. Got a pint. Boiled ham and crackers, and bought a can of lobster. Mackerel and gingerbread, blackberries for supper with crackers. Good.

July 2: Up at 2 A. M. March as usual. Only about 9 miles, to a nice old camp-meeting ground. Pitched my tent for first time in ten days, and expected to remain there a week or more, for forage and supplies. Fixed up all right. Had a little dumpling bread made. Spoiled my flour. Had 1/3 of my lobster for dinner. Blackberries for tea. Slept very cold in cot.

July 3: Up at 5. Capt. had his whiskey as usual. Sick call, cleaned up a little, and rested some. No mail yet.

July 4: Up at 5. Capt. and all officers came and drank 4th of July with me. Very kind and attentive while the whiskey lasted. Capt. invited me last night to dine with him and party today, and now begged for two bottles of brandy, of my private store, which I gave him, but hated to. At 6 A. M. attended full dress parade of artillery before Colonel Barnett on horseback, all trigged up in style. At 3 P. M. dinner at the Capt.'s. About six other officers there. Drank both my two bottles of brandy before dinner, and were quite tight when they sat down, and all laid down on the floor of the tent directly after to sleep it off, till about 6. Call that pleasure! Thought of Walter and firecrackers. Not a gun or noise of any kind allowed during the whole day.

July 5: Oh dear! Had orders to march again at 3 P. M. Sorry. Pulled up after dinner. Ate balance of lobster, and got a few biscuits made by the Captain's cook. Marched at 3, about 6 miles, to a new field with blackberries. Picked a pint, which makes me two suppers. Slept again in ambulance. Lieut. LeBrum, sick from yesterday's dinner, rode in ambulance.