Biographical Sketch of Prof. L. Mounier
Professor Louis Jules Gabriel Mounier, whose article on the Siege of Paris, is published in this, and will be continued in the following numbers of the Historical Magazine, was born at Bourges, France, on December 21, 1852, where his father, Jean Baptiste, was held as an interned political prisoner. The Mounier s, are of an old Republican family from the South of France. One of them, Jean Joseph Mounier (of whom Carlyle, in his History of the French Revolution, writes at length) was elected President of the National Assembly in September, 1789.
Professor Mounier studied painting and sculpture at the Philotechnic Association of Paris, where he received several prizes (third, second and half of first). His first teacher was the sculptor Felix Sanzel. He mastered the English language during the eighteen months he spent in London and arrived in New York in November, 1873, where he directed an Art School from 1878 to 1894. He was married in the Chapel of Windsor Castle, England, October 26, 1878, to his second cousin, Gabrielle, only daughter of a prominent lawyer and famous flutist of Paris, Me - Jules Bezou.
In the last month of 1894 he came to Vineland, N. J., to recover from severe nervous prostration. Many Vinelanders remember him and Mrs. Mounier as accomplished musicians who were ever ready to help social and charitable affairs with their talent on the 'cello and piano.
In 1901 some of his art patrons, who were connected with the Baron de Hirsch Fund, knowing his versatile talents, his liberal and unprejudiced views towards the Jews, offered him the position of teacher and lecturer on American Civics, Nature Study, etc., in the colonies west of Vineland, which position he retained until the great War, which restrained the activities of the Baron de Hirsch Fund. Since 1915 Professor Mounier confines his work to directing three libraries and the public halls of Carmel, Rosenhayn and Garton Road, and to occasional portrait work. The present article was written for and read at the Historical Society on November 20, 1912. It was also read by Professor Mack Eastman in 1913 before his classes in history at the University of Calgary, Canada.