Vice President Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society
Marcus, son of Joshua Fry, was born in Coopersburg, Lehigh County, Pa., September 18, 1840. His father, was a surveyor, and in his boyhood he assisted him, thus laying the foundation of the profession he followed, that of surveyor and civil engineer. He was a pupil at the famous school at Bethlehem, known as Nazareth Hall, from which he graduated.
After spending a few years in the Mercantile business in Philadelphia, he came to Vineland, April 6, 1863, in response to an advertisement for a surveyor by Charles K. Landis, who was engaged in laying out the new settlement.
On the 10th of the month he entered into an engagement with Mr. Landis and from that time took an active part in the development and progress of the place, becoming Mr. Landis' chief assistant and rendered invaluable service in the various enterprises in which he was engaged.
After the death of Mr. Landis, June, 1900, Mr. Fry engaged in the real estate business, in connection with his profession. Familiar as he was with locations and bounds, his services were in great demand in this and adjoining counties. He was chosen Borough engineer and was also engaged in making a survey and map of Beuna Vista township previous to his last sickness.
In collaberation with C. B. Campbell, he wrote a brief history of Vineland which was awarded the prize offered by the founder of the place.
Mr. Fry's knowledge concerning events in the early history of the town he had made his home for so many years was unequalled by any other resident, and although frequently urged to place his reminiscences in writing the many demands upon his time prevented his doing so to any extent. Two valuable articles from his pen have appeared in this magazine and while others were promised illness prevented. Mr. Fry was a Democrat, secretary and treasurer of the local club and a staunch supporter of the party.
Mr. Fry was one of the early members of Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society, a trustee, and at the annual election in 1917 he was elected Vice President of the Society.
His death occurred on Sunday, January 12th, 1919. Funeral services were held the 15th and burial was in Siloam Cemetery. A widow and one son survive him.