Journal of Charles K. Landis

Founder of Vineland


Sunday, April 19, 1868

Rose at 7 1/2 o'clock. Attended the Presbyterian Church to hear a funeral sermon preached upon the Colonel. Went in company with Dr. Bostwick. The sermon was very indifferent. During the entire service there was only one reference to the Colonel. During the service a very shocking scene took place. A crazy woman marched up to the pulpit, seized the Bible from the hands of the minister and threw it upon the floor, and then marched away. It was a shocking thing. After this, the services went on as usual.

Returned and called upon Mrs. Bostwick, but did not find her at home. Called upon Capt. Hall and wife. Had a long conversation with them. Called again on Mrs. Bostwick, but did not find her at home. Drove out in the afternoon, after dinner, about 5 o'clock. The Dr. is much pleased with Vineland. Insists upon my visiting his beautiful place at Staten Island with my sister. I hope to do so. Conversed all the evening and retired at 11 o'clock.

Monday, April 20, 1868.

Rose at 7 o'clock. Weather mild and drizzling with rain. Conversed upon various subjects with Dr. Bostwick. Ellis called. Had sold $5,000 of stock in the Vineland R. R. within a few days.

Received a letter from General Sewell of the N. J. R. R. Co. requesting the public squares of Vineland, near the station, for the use of the Company in erecting building, running side tracks and the like. This property would be worth about $20,000, and injure the beauty of the place about the station. I immediately declined the request.

Received a dispatch from Mr. Burk to send Shaker Hood webs to Pawtucket. He has sold them for $1.00 per dozen.

I called upon Mrs. Bostwick with Dr. Bostwick. I advised her to sell her place at once before it ran down. Unfortunately I find her very opinionated and unpracticable. This is an unfortunate circumstance. I notice that the place is not attended to.

In the evening called on Dr. McClintock with Dr. Bostwick and took tea. Dr. McClintock did most of the talking. It was upon his medical experience. My cough became so bad that he gave me some flax seed tea, which greatly relieved me. Returned and talked until 12 o'clock. Retired to rest.

Tuesday, April 21, 1868.

Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock. Dr. Bostwick left in the morning morning train. I promised to pay him a visit to Staten Island, in May or June.

Sent goods away and wrote letters. In the afternoon Judge York of N. J. R. R., General Sewell and Mr. Allen called on me about taking the square for railroad purposes. Declined making any such agreement. Sent them away in good humor. Suffered very much from my cough and cold. Went to bed immediately after supper. Soaked my feet in hot salt water.

Wednesday, April 22, 1868.

Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock in improved health. Weather clear, mild and beautiful. Wrote an article upon the economical principles of Vineland. Mr. Brewster called bringing me the ''Philadelphia Morning Post" containing a long and elaborate description of Vineland. It was headed ''A Model Town," and was the most correct description that I have ever seen published in newspapers. I must find out who wrote such an article.

Received the first number of the "Rosenhayn Messenger," published by Jos. C. Morton, who is endeavoring to start a settlement of that name between Vineland and Bridgeton. Mr. Morton is one of my earliest settlers, and one of the most consistent and powerful advocates of Vineland. For some time he acted as one of my agents. His enterprise is entirely practical if he has sufficient energy and promptitude. I hope for the sake of his family that he will succeed, but he is not what anyone can call a business man.

My mother and sister went to the city in the afternoon to make some purchases for the house. I will be glad to have my house once in order. In the afternoon drove up to Willsons' and took Mrs. Willson out driving. We had a delightful drive up by the Clark farm and through the village of Forest Grove. Returned and drove Miss Carrie up to the station. Retired at 10 o'clock.

Thursday, April 23, 1868.

Rose at 6 o'clock. Wrote an article for the "Weekly" upon the improvement of church grounds. Rode out on horseback in company with Miss Mears, for about fifteen miles. In the afternoon drove out with one of my agents and a visitor for another fifteen miles. Toward night very tired, and went to bed at 7 1/2 o'clock.

April 24, 1868.

Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock. Weather cool and cloudy. Went to office and saw visitors. Examined proof of article upon economical principles of Vineland. Working to get the hotel fitted up. Remained in the office nearly all day receiving visitors. It is remarkable that there are so few sales in proportion to the number of people down. When my hotel is opened I think I will soon correct this difficulty.

Have lately dropped my French lessons. This is very bad. It has been partly owing to moving and disturbance of my household affairs. Received in the evening a dispatch from Mr. Burk that he had sold a lot of Shaker Hood stock, and that I should send on the material. Made immediate arrangements. Retired at 9 1/2 o'clock.

April 25, 1868. Saturday.

Weather raining. Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock. Sent Shaker Hood goods off to Mr. Burk. Went to office and gave audience to people upon business.

Received from Prime of Long Island some seeds of Chinese yams which I intend to try. I think the cultivation of these yams may have important results in our section of the state. Gave directions about furniture in the hotel. Spoke to Crocker about my starting an agricultural journal. This would make a good advertising medium. On reflection I do not think I will start it on account of having so many different things to attend to.

Left in the afternoon train for Philadelphia, in order to spend Sunday with my mother and sister. Stopped at the Continental. On account of bad weather and having suffered very much from indisposition during the day, remained quiet during the evening and went to bed early. April 26, Sunday.

Walked around to see my mother and sister. Called upon General Wm. D. Lewis. Went with him to see Hon. B. H. Brewster. Spent several hours in conversation. General Lewis and myself then took a carriage to the Falls of Sckuylkill where we had supper. Returned and went to the Philadelphia Club. Afterward accompanied him to his house where I met Miss Tregs of Baltimore and several others. Walked home and retired at 11 1/2 o'clock.

Monday, April 27, 1868.

Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock. Called on my mother and sister. Went out and bought two chandeliers. Called on R. D. Wood to learn if anything was doing about railroad between Vineland and Mays Landing. He says that he will bring the subject up this week in the meeting of the West Jersey Co. Called on Mr. Lowry. Walked out Chestnut St. Met several acquaintances.

Returned to Vineland at 3 1/2 P. M. Met Mrs. Willson and her daughter Fannie upon the train. Arrived in Vineland and went to office. Business dull. Retired at 8 o'clock P. M. Received a letter from Dr. Homer Bostwick mentioning his safe arrival and sending me his picture.

Tuesday, April 28, 1868.

Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock. Wrote letters to Dr. Bostwick and Charles T. Jackson. Walked out with a gentleman from Lancaster and sold him a lot. Rode out on horseback in the afternoon. Arrangements at the hotel begin to progress. Retired at 9 1/2 o'clock.

April 29, 1868.

Rose at 6 o'clock. Weather cloudy. Went to office and attended to business. Saw C. B. Campbell, and revised resolutions prepared by the Agricultural Society about railroad matters. Wrote several articles for the papers concerning a bridge across the Delaware. J as. H. Scovel of Camden called upon me. He is concerned in a suit against me on the part of a man by the name of Calkins. Retired at 9 1/2 o'clock.

April 30, 1868, Thursday.

Rose at 6 o'clock. Weather beautiful. Sold four town lots in the morning. Have been having interviews with boarding house keepers about visitors, offering them inducements to get them to locate, and to send them to the office to be taken out upon the drive. Rode out at 2 o'clock with Miss Mears on horseback. Went as far as the old Vannaman place beyond Panther Mill, and found that the barn had been blown down. Had a delightful ride. Took a bath in the evening and retired at 9 1/2 o'clock.

May 1, Friday.

Rose at 6 1/2 o'clock. Showed a person over lots in the morning. He said he was pleased with them and might buy them. This was Mr. Pond of Lynn, Mass. Walked out in the morning and afternoon for exercise. In the evening called on Miss Mears. Her sister played the piano. She is very young, but a great proficient. Retired at 10 o'clock.