James M. Dodge
Came from Whitestown, Oneida Co., N. Y. First visited Vineland, March 18, 1865. Bought from C. K. Landis seventeen and one half acres on Landis Avenue between Robin Run and Mill Road. Closed up business in New York State and arrived in Vineland with his family on May 4th. Proceeded to build his own house with the help of a friend, Mr. Seymour Couch, who came with the family.
J. M. Dodge was born in New Hartford, N. Y., July 3, 1831.
Eliza A. Flint was born in Paris, N. Y., January 18, 1837.
They were married at Cassville, October 2, 1859.
Ernest A. Dodge was born in Kirkland, N. Y., May 15, 1861.
Flora E. Dodge was born in Kirkland, Dec. 6, 1864.
In his own words, Mr. Dodge came to Vineland to get away from long cold winters and grog shops. He cultivated the land at Robin's Run for thirteen years, finished paying for it and bought ten acres more. In the fall of 1878 sold the house and ten acres and moved into what is now the Borough January 1, 1879 and bought out the grocery business of George F. Walker, in the Mechanic's Block, where he did business until the first of the following September when he moved to the corner of Fourth Street and Landis Avenue.
After about fifteen months sold out, and later opened a clothing store which he carried on for nearly five years.
Horace K. Flint
Born Johnsbury, Vt, June 13, 1821. Married Amanda M. Grow of Hardwick, Vt. Feb. 26, 1849.
Came to Vineland from Racine, Wis., in November, 1866 through love of change and in search of a milder climate. While in Racine had served as Councilman and President of the Board of Education. During the Civil War served in the Quarter Master's Department in Nashville, Tenn., in 1864.
Located on Wheat Road east of East Avenue and engaged in small farming. Acted as Assessor from 1872 to 1876. Also was the publisher of the "Vineland Weekly" and "Vineland Independent" from September 1879 to September 1881. He removed to Landis Avenue next house east of Captain Holbrook's place where he resided for several years.