Born at Groton, Grafton Co., N. H., Feb. 12, 1800. Studied with Rev. William Rolf in Groton.
He commenced teaching vocal music in 1820. Although he worked a large New England side hill farm, his musical studies were never neglected. However laborious his work during the day, the evening found him at his studies or with his classes from two to ten miles from home in adjoining towns. Farming was his duty; singing his delight.
He married Hannah Cumings in Groton in 1823. In 1857 he moved to Medford, Steele Co., Minn., where his wife died in 1861. In 1866 he sold his farm and with his invalid daughter, Millie Cheney Wheeler, came to Vineland in search of health and a milder climate. He located on the north side of Landis Avenue, the fourth house beyond Spring Road. He engaged in fruit culture and taught his last class in music in 1868.
He was a descendant of the Dustin family; one of Hannah Dustin's daughters married a Cheney.
Mr. Cheney died in the Spring of 1875.
Lawrence D. Clark
Born Whitehall, N. Y., Dec. 11, 1812. Educated at the Academy in St. Albans, Vt.
Married Dec. 7, 1842 in Swanton, Vt., Esther S. Bearney.
He enlisted in the 1st Vermont Regiment for three months, was honorably discharged and enlisted again in the 13th Vermont; was promoted Captain, then Major and again honorably discharged.
He came to Vineland for permanent residence Sept. 20, 1870. Purchased six lots on the northwest corner of East and Chestnut Avenues. He built the house and barn in Swanton, Vt. and transported it by sea to Philadelphia, thence by rail to Vineland.
His children were Martin Luther, Arthur Olin, Ida May, Lillie Esther, Nettie Gertrude, Bertha Isabel.
Douglas W. Barker
Born in Denmark, Lewis Co., N. Y., Sept. 2, 1813.
Married to Elizabeth A. Angle of Cortland Co., N. Y., July 1847.
Their children were Mary L., Genevieve, Alice E. and Ella B.
He moved to Vineland in November, 1862, locating on the northeast corner of East and Park Avenues, where he engaged in farming and fruit growing.
Festus C. Cramner
Born in Rome, Bradford Co., Pa., June 10, 1825.
Married Henrietta Spaulding, Jan. 16, 1845.
Came to Vineland 1863, locating on East Avenue. He engaged in farming and carpentry.
His children were Ann L., Lizzie A., Emma R., Stephen E. and Raphael E.
Nathan M. Ames
Born in Hollis, N. H., June 4, 1827.
Married Aseneth Hardy, June 20, 1878.
His children were William Henry, born March 21, 1851; Lucy Ella, born June 8, 1852; Sarah Elizabeth, born Jan. 14, 1854.
In 1860 he organized a temporary military company in Hollis called the Hollis Phalanx. When the war broke out he was appointed Captain of Co. H.. 7th Regt, N. H. Vol. and served three years. It 1863 he was for a short time Provost Marshall of Fernandina, Fla. and in the summer of 1864 was appointed Chief of Ambulance in the 10th Army Corps at Bermuda Hundred, Va. While in this position was assigned a place on the staff of Gen. Birney. He was honorably discharged Dec. 2, 1864.
He came home broken in health, and hoping to benefit by a warmer climate, removed to Vineland Jan. 28, 1871, locating on Wheat Road; where he engage d inf arming. With his family he attended the Congregational Church, of which he was deacon. He died of consumption Sept. 5, 1872. His widow died Dec. 2. 1912, aged 85.
Born at Greenville Centre, Green Co., N. Y., March 25, 1832.
He married Emeline Cochran Aug. 19, 1855.
He removed to Vineland May 10, 1872, locating in Landisville, where he engaged in farming. He held the office of Justice of thh Peace for ten years.
His children were C. Widmer, Elizabeth M., Sarah Emma, Harriett Ann and William J.